Report shows that mold levels in Alabama elementary school do not signify immediate health concerns

Last month we wrote about the parents of more than 70 students at Montevallo Elementary School in Alabama who chose to pull their children from class until they felt the building was safe.

Now, local news source is reporting that officials recently conducted mold testing inside the building to determine whether the mold levels were dangerous.

The December 31 document prepared by the Environmental Materials Consultants Inc. of Montgomery determined that while there were higher concentrations of mold in certain parts of the building than in outdoor samples, it wasn't enough to warrant an immediate health concern.

The report, which notes that cold weather conditions and work being done inside the building could be part of the reason why mold levels were high, does recommend conducting monthly tests to track the air quality of the building.

"If airborne mold concentrations within the building remain higher than the outside concentrations, additional investigation and/or remediation will be warranted," states the document.

Now that tests have been conducted and the school has been reopened, parents are still concerned about the potential safety hazards of sending their children to school, and are wary of some of the information in the report. Jennifer Macomb told the source that her daughter has been sneezing again since returning to the building, and that she's even heard of some kids complaining about nosebleeds.

Mold is a problem that should never be taken lightly, as it can lead to some serious health issues. To make sure your home or business isn't infested with this potentially dangerous fungi, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you're safe.