In the beginning of March, school board members and students from Trenton Central High School in New Jersey spoke at a meeting about the building's dismal conditions, sharing stories about water leaking through the ceiling, warped floors and inadequate plumbing. The state of the school is so bad that representatives from other districts whose facilities were in need of repair lobbied for funding to go toward Trenton.
In a March 28 article, local news source NJ.com reported that the School Development Authority (SDA) has promised $13.3 million to put toward urgent repairs by the end of 2014, but members of the school board say they haven't seen any of that money yet and can't wait that long.
In the meantime, the district has had no choice but to use resources from its already tight budget to fix the parts of the building that are the most dangerous, tackling hazards such as mold and asbestos.
"We only have a certain amount of money, so we're trying to address it in small sections until the SDA tells us how they're going to move forward with repairs," said Dwayne Mosley, district director of facilities construction. "We can't allow our students and staff to continue to work in an area where there's imminent danger."
Data from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reveals that exposure to mold can cause mild to severe health problems, particularly for people who already suffer from asthma and allergies. No matter what, it's not good to be in its presence on a daily basis. To make sure your home or business isn't infested with it, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you're safe.