If parts of your home have ever flooded due to a snow storm, hurricane or any other weather-related event, it's important to do whatever you can to limit the presence of mold and remove it as quickly as possible when it appears. This hazardous fungus thrives in moist, damp environments and can quickly turn into a full-on infestation.
According to Northland's NewsCenter, a Minnesota NBC affiliate, flooding that occurred throughout the state in 2012 has left many homeowners dealing with serious mold problems. And, as warmer weather approaches, experts say it's essential to raise awareness about the negative health issues it can cause as well as the permanent damage that mold can do to a property.
Sarah Diepolder – who found the fungus growing on the walls of her basement – spoke with the source about her experience.
"It's not something I expected. If somebody hadn't come in to inspect my house I would have never known I had a mold problem," said Diepolder. "We had someone come in and clean the house because of health issues we wanted that taken care of right away."
Unfortunately, state funding and flood relief programs only cover a homeowner's primary residence, so Diepolder's cabin is still infested with the fungus.
Data from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reveals that exposure to such mold can cause mild to severe health problems, particularly for people who already suffer from asthma and allergies. No matter what, it's not good to be in its presence on a daily basis. To make sure your residence or business isn't infested with black mold, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you're safe.