According to a new study from the University of Rochester, the biggest lead hazard in your home might be right outside your front door. Researchers found that the porches of 79 homes in Rochester had lead levels nearly four times the level found inside the home.
The problem stems from gaps in lead paint legislation at the local level. Rochester's "lead safe" laws require landlords and property owners to ensure that the insides of rental properties do not contain more than a certain level of lead, but fail to require the same treatment for the exterior of the home. In fact, there are no communities nationwide that require porches of rental properties to be tested for lead, since there are no federal standards for acceptable levels.
This means that in many cases, lead-heavy dust made of flaking paint can be inhaled by children playing on the porch, or can enter the home on the shoes of the inhabitants and cause problems indoors as well. Fortunately, this problem can be completely corrected by re-painting or replacing the porch. The researchers found that lead levels returned to normal as soon as the lead paint on the porch had been removed and new paint had been applied.
However, many people may not be aware that their porches contain dangerous levels of lead paint. The first step toward correcting this widespread issue is to raise awareness of the potential dangers of lead paint on porches to renters and homeowners.
If you suspect that your porch or any other part of your home might contain dangerous levels of lead, contact Alban Inspections to schedule a home lead test today.