A guide to conducting small-scale mold removal

As the saying goes, April showers bring May flowers, but the first full month of spring often comes with more than just the wet weather and moist air. In fact, many homeowners will find as they dry out their basements during their spring cleaning ritual that mold spores have found their way into their houses and spread throughout the space.

If there is a mold infestation visible in your home greater than three feet in diameter, you should contact a professional to seek immediate remediation. However, if you have a more manageable outbreak that is less than this in width, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suggests that you can take matters into your own hands when it comes to removal.

Create a solution that is equal parts water, bleach and disinfectant and arm yourself with a toothbrush so that you can scrub the affected area thoroughly. However, before you get anywhere near the mold, put on personal protective equipment like goggles, gloves and a facemask so that the chemicals and spores don't affect your breathing.

Find the source of the moisture and be sure to cut it off. If you simply had a flooded basement from a recent rain fall, invest in a sump pump and dehumidifier to get all water out of the affected area. This way, spores that you miss won't find a wet spot where they can grow.

Not all mold outbreaks are visible, however, as many of the most humid areas in a house are located within the walls or under stairs. Have a home inspection contractor visit your house and conduct a mold inspection if you suspect their many be an outbreak, since these may be signifiers of a greater problem.