Most of us know that mold can be bad for our homes and our health, but how much else do you know about this common household plague? Education is key to reducing both your level of worry and the risks associated with living in a home with mold, so here are a few things you should know:
- The basic facts. Mold is a fungus that is crucial in nature for the decomposition of dead matter — it's just bad luck and humans' intrusion on the natural environment that have caused molds to take up residence in our homes. Molds reproduce by the spread of spores through the air, which are invisible to the naked eye and cause many of the respiratory problems that are associated with living in a home with mold.
- Moisture is key. Essentially, in order to get a foothold in your home, mold needs a dank, warm, moist place to grow. To prevent these from forming, you should make sure that your house is well-ventilated and that the air humidity level is kept between 30 and 60 percent. If you live in a particularly humid area, a dehumidifier will help you to keep the moisture level in your home unappealing to mold.
- Molds can grow anywhere. Don't rule out the possibility of mold taking root on basically any surface in your home. Molds have been found living on wood, paper, fabric, other synthetic home surfaces, and of course on food.
- Once you can see mold growth, it's a problem. If you see even a few visible splotches of mold on your walls, chances are there's a larger problem going on underneath the surface. Consult with a professional as soon as you notice any visible mold in your home.
If you think your home might have mold, schedule a home inspection with Alban Inspections today.