According to Clean Technica, solar energy costs will drop another 25 percent by 2017.
Canadian Solar statistics indicate that solar PV modules will fall by 25 percent to US36c/watt at the end of 2017. This drop will be caused by improvements in cell efficiency and the output of a range of solar modules.
Besides these lower prices, why should your company or home consider utilizing solar power?
The Solar Energy Industries Association is one of the largest proponents of solar energy use. This type of energy is one of the most abundant natural resources found in the U.S.
There are many ways to harness the power of the sun including:
- Concentrating solar power
- Passive solar
- Photovoltaics (solar electric)
- Solar heating and cooling.
There are both active and passive solar systems. Active solar systems use electrical or mechanical means to convert the sun's heat or light into usable energy. Passive solar systems are designed to collect, store and distribute the heat energy from sunlight without using electricity or moving parts.
How can homes and businesses increase their solar energy usage?
- Install solar panels: Solar panels can be expensive, but their captured energy is perfect for reducing electrical energy sources. In addition, their prices are dropping.
- Let the light in: Use natural light whenever possible. Open the shades during board meetings or in the office and turn off the lights. Natural light can decrease energy usage and has been proven to increase worker productivity.
- Unplug items: If you're not using it in that exact moment, you shouldn't have the appliance plugged in.