Tips for safely removing lead paint from your home

Although it is not as common to find lead paint in houses these days as it has been in the past, the truth is that the hazardous material still presents a very real health risk. If your home was built before the 1970s, there is a good chance that lead paint was used in the process, so you should have your home tested. Homeowners that discover lead paint in their residences need to have it all removed immediately, before there are any negative effects on their health. It is possible to do it on your own, if you take the proper precautions.

Here are a few ways to safely remove lead paint from your home:

  • Cover everything: Before you begin the process of removing the paint from your home, you need to make sure that you keep all of your belongings protected. Because the process is going to create a lot of dust and debris, you do not want to have any items exposed with the possibility of being covered in the lead paint. Disposable plastic sheets will work best.
  • Protect yourself: Because you will be dealing with dangerous chemicals and fumes, you will want to wear all of the necessary protective items to keep you safe from harm. Goggles, gloves and a facemask will suffice.
  • Turn off the vents: When the dust and debris are circulating in the house, you do not want any of it to get into your ventilation systems, or else it will be possible that you breathe in the toxins at a later date. Before you remove the paint, make sure that all of your vents are properly turned off and closed so that nothing can get inside of them.

If you want to hire a professional to have any lead paint removed, schedule an appointment with Alban Inspections!