The real risk of radon

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer if left untreated. Radon is invisible to the human eye, odorless, and it is not tangible. Radon testing is the only way to ensure there is no radon inside or near your home.

As radon is a radioactive gas, it often moves from the ground to the air through cracks in the foundation or even in the siding of a home. Although it is easy for radon to enter the home, it can be difficult to eliminate, especially in winter. 

During the colder months, homeowners generally keep their windows shut, sealing any entryways and ensuring there are no openings to the outside that may let out the heat. This traps the radon inside as well. Some homeowners believe that because their home is new or recently constructed it won't suffer from radon issues, but it can seep into any building.

Radon most often comes from the soil, but it can also enter the home through a water source. Though radon poses less of a health risk when it is in water, as opposed to airborne radon, it can still adversely affect the health of those who drink it. It also contributes to elevated indoor radon levels.

If you are an owner of a private well that your family uses as a water source, or you suspect your home water has been contaminated with radon, schedule an audit right away.

If left untreated, radon can negatively impact quality of life and the overall safety of your home. Schedule an audit today with Alban Inspections or visit our website.