Oklahoma schools closes temporarily to take care of mold problems 

The Dove Science Academy, a college preparatory public charter school in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has been closed temporarily after it was recently discovered that potentially toxic mold may be present in the building. 

Teachers from the academy told News on 6 that that they have been experiencing health problems as a result of being exposed to black mold, saying that the school has waited too long to fix what has been an ongoing issue. Assistant Principal John Franklin insists, however, that he and his colleagues have been following advice from experts who were brought in to examine the situation. 

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), exposure to mold can cause symptoms such as eye irritation, nasal congestion, wheezing and skin irritation. People who have asthma or allergies may suffer more severe reactions.

Rob Thompson, president of Liberty Occupational Health Management, a company that provides mold remediation services to residences and businesses in the state of Oklahoma, said that water makes mold worse, and that a recent plumbing issue at the school may have exacerbated the infestation. 

“We don’t usually hear about the problem until it gets a little beyond normal,” Thompson said. “You try to find out where the source and the origin of the problem is. You fix that, then you can tackle any mold problem that might be present, like remove carpeting, remove wall board, those kinds of things.”

Currently, restoration crews are working to de-mold the 40-year-old building and repair the plumbing.

Mold is a problem that should never be taken lightly, as it can lead to some serious health issues. To make sure your home or business isn’t infested with this potentially dangerous fungi, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you’re safe.