Exposure to mold inside a business or residence can lead to health issue such as coughing, wheezing and upper respiratory tract symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That being said, if a building shows significant signs of this hazardous fungus, it's important to take the proper actions to avoid being affected by it.
After discovering black mold in its City Hall, the town of Bolivar, Missouri, was forced to come up with a quick plan of action to deal with the issue and ensure comfort and safety among the people who work there, reports KY3 News. City Administrator Darin Chappell said that while some of the employees have experienced headaches, there haven't been any signs of significant health problems.
It's likely that the mold began to grow following a thunderstorm several months ago that damaged part of the roof, leaving behind a mysterious smell even after it was repaired.
While the fungus in the building is being removed, city operations – including the police department – have been spread out across the town for the foreseeable future. The source states that it could be months before the facility is ready to be used again.
"All the services that we provide – we will respond to calls for service, we will still have a desk available for walk-in reports, things like that. It may be slightly inconvenient, however, we will still be able to do our jobs," Police Chief Steve Hamilton told KY3 News.
If you think your home or business may be infested with this potentially dangerous fungus, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you're safe.