How dangerous can mold in your home really be?

A Becker County, Minnesota family is out of a home after a bout of mold in their home left them ill to the point of numerous hospital visits.

The family of four are now living elsewhere after they spent thousands of dollars on mold treatments and inspections. 

All the family members have been in and out of the hospital for periods of time over the past five years, suffering from multiple severe respiratory issues. The couple also believes the loss of their twins may have also been caused by the mold.

Although mold may not seem like a big issue, not resolving it can leave you and your family with serious health issues.

Mold can grow quickly, sometimes out of sight in basements, attics and even bedroom walls. With just a small amount of moisture and a dark space, an infestation can take place in a matter of days. 

Besides common household walls, mold can also be found in carpets, carpet padding and insulation. 

There are many symptoms associated with mold in the home including allergic reactions, irritation and irritation upon direct contact.

Inhaling or touching mold may result in:

  • Asthma attacks
  • Irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs 
  • Red eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Skin rash
  • Sneezing.

Mold is often caused by a water leak in the home. Keep these tips in mind to prevent future outbreaks:

  • Act quickly if water seeps into the home and ensure affected areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak occurs.
  • Keep indoor humidity low and use a dehumidifier when necessary.
  • Make sure the ground slopes away from the home.

If you suspect your home and its inhabitants are suffering from a mold problem, consult a professional such as Alban Inspections for a home mold inspection and removal. Mold testing and inspection are a vital part of homeowner safety.