College in North Carolina to repair mold-infested building

Cape Fear Community College (CFCC) in Wilmington, North Carolina, recently asked the Board of Commissioners for more than $600,000 in a recent meeting to fund necessary repairs to one of the main facilities on campus. 

According to local media outlet WECT News, the McLeod Building – constructed in 1976 – has a severe mold and mildew problem, which forced people who work there to move their offices to mobile units until the issue is resolved. Since the fungus is growing exclusively on the bottom floor, staff members are still able to hold classes on the upper levels of the facility, but in order to prevent the infestation from getting worse, immediate action is required. 

In a letter to a town official, CFCC president Ted Spring noted that a home inspection contractor had determined that the mold "far exceeds acceptable levels," writes the Greater Wilmington Business Journal.

"It's a major building," said CFCC spokesperson David Hardin. "It's on the ground floor so it's important we can get this problem fixed correctly and don't put a band-aid on it. We want it fixed the right way. It affects the air handling for the entire building so we need a new air conditioning unit."

The school will use $600,000 to replace the floor, ceiling, doors and walls and an additional $47,781 to purchase two new hot water boilers. 

Data from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reveals that exposure to such mold can cause mild to severe health problems, particularly for people who already suffer from asthma and allergies. No matter what, it's not good to be in its presence on a daily basis. To make sure your residence or business isn't infested with black mold, contact a home inspection contractor to perform mold testing and help you determine if you're safe.