Child services department abandons building due to mold

Mold is a nasty problem that can afflict both homes and businesses alike. While mold and mildew visibly damage the nice, clean look of any building, some may not realize that this fungus can do a lot more than just paint some ugly-looking splotches over a wall or floor tile. The real danger of these spores is that, if left unattended, they can grow to pose a serious health risk for occupants. Depending on how far it's allowed to fester, removing out-of-control mold can be an expensive and time-consuming process, and one that would temporarily force out a building's tenants to a new house or office. This was the case for the Department of Family and Children Services in Brunswick, Georgia. 

Local Jacksonville news affiliate WJXT reports that the department was forced to temporarily shut down its offices in Cypress Mill Square due to a growing mold problem. 

"It's behind the walls," said the property's owner, Carolyn Oppenheimer, in a phone interview with the source. "You couldn't see it, so they had to go in and remove the affected areas. They removed some sheet rock and some carpet."

Employees are reportedly worried, not just because they don't know what kind of mold it is, but also because some have known – and anonymously relayed to the source – that the building has been hampered by mold for years due to leaks and flooding. When one worker recently requested mold testing for the building, the inspection revealed airborne mold spores, prompting the office to close on June 11.

Homeowners in the Virginia and Maryland area are encouraged to make an appointment with a home inspection contractor. These professionals can conduct mold testing and inspection of your property to determine if you are at risk and, if there is a problem, what can be done to fix it.