Radon gas can be deadly if it accumulates in the home past a certain level. Here are some key things that everyone should know about this dangerous gas:
- What it is: Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can be hazardous to humans at high levels. At lower levels, it's present in many everyday things you interact with often, from soil to air to water.
- How it can get into your home: Basically any place that gas or water can enter your home, radon can enter as well. The gas tends to seep in through the soil in crawl spaces, foundation cracks, pipes and drains.
- How common it is: About 15 percent of homes nationwide have elevated levels of the dangerous gas, including homes in regions of the country that are generally considered to be at lower risk for radon gas.
- The symptoms: There are none. That is, until radon begins actually harming your health, you may not be aware that anything is happening. This is because it doesn't cause the headaches and lightheadedness that can come with other kinds of gas in your home. Eventually, through extended exposure, radon causes lung cancer. It is actually responsible for more lung cancer deaths than any cause other than smoking in the U.S.
- How to test for it: Hire a radon testing professional to use a 48-hour radon test kit or an electronic continuous radon monitor to check your house for any sign of radon gas.
- What to do if your home has elevated radon levels: Get in contact with a professional radon mitigation company immediately. Trying to deal with the gas yourself will only be counterproductive.
To protect your and your family's health and schedule a home test for radon, contact Alban Inspections today.