5 signs of faulty wiring

Wiring is one of the most potentially dangerous components of a house, but unfortunately, many homeowners believe they can fix problems without the help of a professional. If your electrical system has been tampered with by previous owners or landlords, you may be in danger of fire or electrocution. If you notice any of these signs, you should have your home checked for wiring problems:

  • Flickering lights: If only one light fixture or lamp is flickering, it might just be that the bulb or the fixture itself is faulty. However, if multiple lights flicker consistently, it could be a sign that your electrical system is being overtaxed, or that some of the connections are loose. This is a common problem in older houses that were originally only wired for a a few electrical devices.
  • Switches or outlets working unreliably: If certain light switches or outlets work one day, then stop working the next, it could be a sign of loose wiring or damage to the switch or outlet.
  • Circuit breaker tripping frequently: It's normal for a circuit breaker to trip occasionally, but if it does so on a regular basis, it could mean that the wiring is being overloaded, or that there is a short in the system. 
  • Hot or noisy fixtures: If your electrical system is working properly, it should produce neither sound nor heat. If electrical fixtures are hot to the touch or make a buzzing sound when used, it may be a danger sign that could lead to electrical shocks.
  • Burning or sparks: This may seem obvious, but if you smell a burning odor or see sparks coming from an electrical fixture, turn it off and contact an electrician immediately to avoid an electrical fire.

Do you have concerns about your home's wiring? Schedule a home inspection with Alban to ensure your electrical system is safe.