While mold is something that no homeowner wants to deal with, it is an issue that cannot be ignored. If left untreated, mold can cause significant damage to a house and can even be responsible for serious health problems. Exposure to mold can result in rashes, conjunctivitis, breathing difficulty and even asthma. If you want to keep your home safe from this hazard, there are certain signs to be on the lookout for. Mold most commonly thrives in moist climates, so temperature control in your home is extremely important.
Here are a few common signs that your home has a mold infestation:
- Heavy moisture: If you notice that the air of a certain room has gotten heavier, then there is a chance that mold has already worked its way into your walls. To avoid furthering spreading, open up every available window and door, while also turning on ultraviolet lights. This will help reduce the problem, but a home inspector should then come in for an evaluation.
- Health issues: Mold exposure can lead to a whole host of health problems. If you begin experiencing conditions that you do not usually suffer from — such as breathing issues — there is a good chance that your home is infected with mold.
- Structural issues: If problems with your house start to occur – such as the discoloring of walls, water stains, chipped paint, and rotting wood – then mold could be the culprit. More serious issues will need to be handled by a professional, to ensure that your home does not come further apart.
If you live in Maryland and notice any of these problems, schedule an appointment with Alban Inspections today for our mold testing and home inspection services.